"Love the Lord with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength"Lara, from Southern California, received her BFA from University of California, Irvine. She joined the local Hartfel Ballet, and later invested her passion for dance as a teacher and minister, especially working with special needs children. This is Lara's fourth Season with the company.
1. What is your nickname?
Lorenzo was my nickname my first year here at Ad Deum while we were learning Beast. It comes back now and again.
2. Where are you from? Irvine, California
3. How many years have you been dancing? Over 20 years! I started dancing when I was 3.
4. Favorite style or styles of dance? Hmm. I used to prefer ballet since it was what I trained in the most. Now I enjoy the creative liberties in modern dance. Swing dancing is a side favorite.
5. What made you want to start dancing? I started dancing because it's what every little girl does! I kept it up because I loved it. Dance became a creative outlet for me as well as an escape from the outside world. Dance wasn't like any sport my dad stuck me in, I loved the discipline, the challenge, the beauty, the expression, and the limitless possibilities that dance offered.
6. What dancers or dance companies inspire you? Sooo many, it is too hard to say.
7. Favorite work of Ad Deum? Innocence Not Lost, the piercing truth. Amazing Grace, it is such beauty and grace.
8. Favorite Performance or Outreach? Memorial Herman Children's Hospital, was one of my favorite places to visit this year. Within minutes downcast faces lit up with excitement as AD II danced. We loved being with able to dance with children IV poles and all!!! One volunteer told me in astonishment that she was filled with joy. (she hadn't experienced such emotion watching dance before.)
9. Favorite Ad Deum Memory? Aside from many amazing God Moments: prayer backstage, healing in our community, daily testimonies of God answering prayer, ministering in Switzerland... One of my favorite memories is seeing Randy dance, I will never forget when he performed a solo at the CS Lewis conference in 2009. Wow. We all cried. My director has been given an incredible gift.
10. Favorite Food? Anything with avocados!
11. What would you do if you were not a dancer? I would be a child life specialist or music therapist part time. I'd volunteer everywhere- holding babies in the hospital, visiting sick people to pray for them, working in shelters, taking wheelchairs to poverty stricken countries through Joni and Friends. I'd play a few instruments and travel with a team as a minster of the gospel through creative arts. I'd learn how to sew. I'd learn how to sail. I'd learn Hebrew. I'd probably spend a lot more time in the kitchen and teach others how to make fun healthy meals. I've always wanted to do a triathlon. I'd visit every national park in the US. I'd spend a lot more time in depth study of the Word. I'd be an astronaut too!
12. What type of music do you listen to? Worship- United Pursuit is my favorite right now.
13. Random Interesting Fact? I'm a proud Aunt!!!