My beloved speaks and says to me: "Arise, my love, my beautiful one, and come away."
Song of Solomon 2:10
Emily, from Dayton, Ohio, received her B.A. in Psychology from Wright State University. She began her dance training with South Dayton Dance Theatre and continued her studies at Cincinnati College Conservatory of Music, Dayton Contemporary Dance Second Company, New ARTiculations, and Arrows International. Currently she teaches dance for West University Dance Centre, and is excited to continue her third season with Ad Deum.
1. Nick Name? Erin Joe the Lumberjack
2. Where are you from? Dayton Ohio
3. How many years have you been dancing? I started dancing when I was 2.5 years old.
4. Favorite style of dance? Contemporary because it combines both ballet and modern into one.
5. What made you want to start dancing? Apparently I was dancing around the house, so my mom signed me up for dancing and I never quit.
6. What dance companies inspire you? I am inspired by Dayton Contemporary Company because it is the company I grew up watching. I love their repertoire, their talent is incredible, and they are just a great, fun group of people.
7. Favorite work of Ad Deum? My favorite piece is a Joyful Noise choreographed by Durell Comedy. This piece is such a gift from the Lord for me to dance because I feel Durell choreographed part of my testimony that I hadn't been able to put into words.
8. Favorite Performance or Outreach with Ad Deum? My favorite Outreach we have done was at Sheltering Arms. Sheltering Arms is a center for people who are suffering from some sort of dementia. This outreach was really close to my heart because my grandma suffered from Alzheimer's disease and I could see aspects of my Nana in each of the people that were there. It was such a blessing to perform for them and bring joy to their hearts because the joy they feel while watching our dancing lasts longer than the actual memory of our dances.
9. Favorite Ad Deum Memory? My favorite Ad Deum memory is when we washed the feet of our participants at our Switzerland intensive. It was really special for me to serve each participant in that way and get to pray over and bless each one of them.
10. Favorite Food? Chocolate chip cookies because they are delicious!
11. What would you do it you were not a dancer? It's hard to say what I would be doing if I wasn't a dancer because ever since I can remember that is what I wanted to be! But after I am done dancing I would love to do some missions work overseas!
12. What type of music do you listen to? I love all types of music, but I mostly listen to worship music. Jesus Culture, Will Reagan, Jonathan David Helser, Chris Tomlin, Cory Asbury, Tenth Avenue North... and the list goes on and on!
13. Random Fact? I have a black belt in To-Shin-Do.
Great dancers are not great because of their technique, they are great because of their passion.
- Martha Graham.